Sunday, September 6, 2009

Technology As Objects

One of the mayor types of technology I feel has affected my field of work is technology as objects, although all the other technologies apply just as well. I work on the Orthopedic and Neurology floor and much of the equipment we use has been created to properly care for the type of patients on my floor as well as make it easier on the nursing staff. We use equipment everyday to make my job more efficient and safer for the patients and staff. We are primarily a surgical floor that takes care of elective joint replacement surgeries as well as any type of fracture to any bone and therefore a lot of therapy and pain is involved. In order to keep joints from getting stiff, we have machines that keep those joints in constant range of motion. We have traction devices that keep bones from rubbing, keeping the patient more comfortable and preventing muscle spasms. We have pain medication pumps that deliver dosages of pain medication to the patient without the nurse having to physically be in the room every time the patient needs pain medication. We have a lot of equipment that has a certain purpose and it was all invented to improve the care of patients as well as make nurses more efficient in their work. I feel it was technological determinism that pushed individuals to make such technologies. We are always finding new ways to improve or change technology to better fit our needs. Out of need, safety has become a primary issue for both the medical staff and the patients. We have needleless systems that allow for intravenous administration of medications in order to decrease needle stick incidents. This has decreased the risk of nurses contracting blood borne diseases from patients or vise versa. In the nursing field there is always a new and improved gadget that replaces the old. Technology has improved my field of work in many ways even before I entered nursing and will continue to affect it in many positive ways.

3 comments:

  1. Sandra,
    As a nurse, I have seen the technological ingenuity that has been created in order to improve patient outcomes and comfort. I think that this technology has inadvertently helped nurses—our patients are getting better faster and they are in less pain. This allows us to focus on other scopes of nursing including valuable education (and paperwork—that seems to never go away). Safety for patients and for nurses has also been changed by technology. We are all safer for those changes. I look forward to hearing more about your research.
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been in the nursing field for the past eleven years I have also have been surrounded by the advances in technology. Pain control is a big issue. Personally I was extremely grateful for the epidural when my daughter was born. As a nurse it makes it easier to take care of patients who have a PCA pump. They are in less pain and in turn recover faster. Thanks to technology patients and nurses are also safer than they were a few years ago. Your blog has been very educational and am looking forward to your future postings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know having been in nursing for 7 years I am usually thankful for new technology. At times there are so many versions of the same thing its overwhelming because each version has a different new way of functioning. In my opinion this leads to errors. In most cases the new technology increases the standard of care for the patients and that is beneficial to everyone involved

    ReplyDelete